Click here to edit subtitle



Carryville’s name change occurred after the completion of the Louisville and Nashville railroad whose route crossed the Choctawhatchee at Half Moon Bluff.  The town’s name was changed to Carryville in honor of the L&N division secretary R.M. Cary.

First called “Half Moon Bluff”, in 1903 Carryville was the first in Washington County to receive electricity and perhaps the first community in the interior of West Florida.

Carryville’s location was dictated by the presence of the Choctawhatchee River.  The River was used by the sawmill industries that the town is known for to transport the logs and timber.

The Pensacola & Atlantic Railroad crossed Half Moon Bluff in 1882
In 1925 it became the crossing point for US Hwy 90 and later on 1975 for Interstate 10.

Carryville became incorporated in 1913.

Schools in Carryville in 1896 consisted on one teacher school rooms.  Schools operated in Carryville until 1968 when they were consolidated with others in the county.